Here’s some video of the latest project a friend and I are working on: Pulsejets, and other forms of producing thrust! While the project started out as trying to make a pulsejet, since the final product can’t sustain itself without compressed air to feed it, I’m not sure it can really be called that.
In the first video, the engine failed because the epoxy we used to join the pipes together (JB Weld) failed at such a high temperature:
In the second video, we made some changes. First, we sanded off as much of the JB Weld as we could, then crimped the pipes together. The smoke coming off of the engine about halfway through is the rest of the JB Weld burning off. Second, we coiled the propane intake tube around the combustion chamber in an effort to A) cool down the combustion chamber with the liquid propane, and B) heat and pressurize the propane as it entered the chamber. This design worked much better, and was able to sustain itself without melting:
We are currently working on a third design, which totally abandons the pulsejet design in favor of a much simpler system.